Friday, December 3, 2010

The Beginning




I am starting this blog to journal this new adventure for our family.

Our flight from Dallas to Seattle:
Not too bad. Kylie did crafts and Korbin slept most of the time. We had the very back row of the plane, right by the bathrooms. During the 4 hour flight, three people run back to the bathroom with their hand over their mouths! What's up with that?

Funny things
- Kylie got a travel sized Light Bright for Christmas..... At the beginning of the flight as soon as they turn the lights out and it gets really dark, the Attendant says over the intercom, "Please feel free to turn on your overhead
lights." Kylie says at a really loud voice, "Don't turn on your lights! I have a Light Bright!!!!" Everyone laughed.


- Kylie had to say hi and talk to everyone that came back to the bathroom. A little girl, Victoria, was waiting for the bathroom and helped Kylie color her picture. Kylie let her keep it. About 20 minutes later, Kylie asks the flight attendant to take a page of stickers up to her. So he went up the isle saying, "Victoria! Victoria! Where's Victoria?" He gave her the stickers and she told him to tell Kylie, "Thank You." He
returns to Kylie and tells her thank you. Kylie screams out as loud as she can... "YOU'RE WELCOME!!!!!" Everyone on the plane laughed... again.=)


We had a couple hours in Seattle before the flight to Fairbanks. Kylie met a really sweet 12 year old girl, Shandaigh. They became 'best friends' right away! They did crafts together while we waited to board our plane. We realized that we were seated right behind them! How cool. I really enjoyed talking and getting to know her mom, Amber, who is from a town about 100 miles from Fairbanks. She gave me all kinds of information about FB. We exchanged info and plan to stay in touch!

When we got to FB, we went to baggage claim to get our 6 boxes and 6 suitcases! Crazy, I know! Aaron rented our car, a brand new Ford Flex. Amber's friend, who picked her up, got ahold of someone from base who could help us out with
transporting our luggage to our hotel on base.

The minute we stepped outside was sooo crazy! It was -23 and it was chokingly cold!!! It froze my nostrils instantly! The kids loved it, immediately throwing snow at each other! =)


The next morning we spent the day organizing our room and stuff. We drove around and explored FB. Gas is $3.66/gallon!! We went to Kylie's school and registered her. She starts Monday in North Pole. We went to the PX and Commissary to get some stuff for the room. Milk was $4.75! When we got back to the hotel, we wondered how we would get all the groceries up to the room.... Aaron found a
shopping cart in the parking lot and yes... he pushed it all the way TO OUR ROOM! Gotta love him!!!!! It IS smart, I guess....




Is is so beautiful here!!! I'm loving it so far. I think it's so cool how in almost every parking lot, there are posts with outlets to plug your car in. After getting cars winterized, a plug is added and hangs out the front of the hood. We carry an extension cord to plug it in. I've noticed that everyone here is so nice! I have not come across one mean person. Everyone is so overly friendly to us, getting so excited to know that we just moved here. They start telling us what we need to do and see, how nice.

In search of a house:
We met with our Realtor, Traci, today who showed us 5 houses. I was not overly impressed with any of them. Everything is so expensive here! Maybe we'll have better luck tomorrow....

2 comments:

  1. Love your blog!! I'm excited about your new adventure.....Just a warning, I would be cautious about buying....we are going majorly in the hole on our house....we don't think we will ever buy as long as we are in the military, because selling stinks, and if aaron deploys again and you rent, you could go home and pocket all of FB BAH! :) MIss you lots...I'll call you soon, how many hours difference are you now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Loved reading your first post. Especially the parts about Kylie on the plane. That is so funny & I can see Kadence doing the same things. I am so glad that everyone has been so friendly so far. I hope that continues. :). I am not going to say I envy your -23 temp's there. I am still not all that thrilled that it is supposed to be winter. I am enjoying our high 60's that we had yesterday it was wonderful! I know it's not going to stick around, so I'm taking it while I can. We are thinking of you guys and hope that God continues to shower blessings on your family.

    ReplyDelete